I am often asked for recommendations of the best apps, websites, blogs or books to read for more effective English learning.
You will find here resources I personally recommend to my students and friends on daily basis. And of course, I will be adding any new ones worth mentioning - so, stay tuned.
Also, some of the links here are affiliate links. This means if you buy some of paid products through my link, I will get a small commission which will help me develop my business and website. Thanks for being there for me!
top online course platforms
top english learning websites
BBC Learning English - a huge English learning resource from the the BBC World Service corporation. Amazing videos and podcasts. A trusted resource for learning British English.
Purland Training - a website of a British teacher Matt Purland with a zillion of useful English learning materials. I recommend a detailed English course for Elementary learners, but there is so much more!
The English Blog by Jeffry Hill. Everything you wanted to know about learning English online! This blog features plenty of English learning websites and resources you can find. I also recommend his 'Animated English' Youtube channel with fun video lessons on everyday English speaking.
If you want to become Advanced in English, don't miss Clark and Miller's blog for English learners. They teach you a lot of vocabulary and communication secrets.
Lexical Lab's Language Chunks is a high value vocabulary blog helping you achieve fluency in English.
top apps for beginners
"Learning with Duolingo is fun and addictive", as they describe themselves on their website. I do agree that it is a solid (and fun) phone app helping you make first steps in learning a new language.
They now have 30 languages you can learn, and they are growing!
Small tip: try to learn a second language using English - it will strengthen your English very much!
top apps for intermediate learners
I am not sure how it "revolutionises" learning English, but Ororo.tv is the website No.1 in our TV bookmarks.
It is the best platform for watching TV shows in English with English subtitles. They add new shows very fast, have the embedded into player English dictionary, and are highly recommended!
top tools to help with writing
I am sure you've seen or heard of Grammarly. And yes, they are good help with grammar and punctuation when you write in English. They have a cool Google Chrome extension, and they help you avoid stupid errors as well as improve your accuracy in English.
If you learn English online, check this out! All the best resources on one page! #learnenglish
top youtube channels
top twitter accounts
- The YUNiversity is a INSANELY useful Twitter account for vocabulary, typical mistakes, writing tips, and fun!
- English Phrasal Verbs - a verb per tweet, every day! Helps you remember phrasal verbs easily.
- Lingotastic - a very good blog about learning languages, always interesting topics!
- Suzanne has two really useful Twitter accounts and teaches you plenty of vocabulary and communication.
- Evil English is a great podcast and vocabulary learning resource.
- Learn languages, learn everything with Open Culture - educate yourself!
- Purland Training ELT will find everything about learning English on Twitter for you!
- And also, please don't forget to follow mine 😉 @StordarLearn - English delivered to you every day.
my online tools
I am often asked about my websites: how I have made them and run them. Very easy - I use wordpress.org. It's free and offers limitless functionality. It takes a bit of learning, but you can just take a course on Skillshare and start running in no time.
Two very important things about WordPress:
- reliable hosting with understandable interface and good customer support. I have tried several, and I found SiteGround after a while, and they are cool! Reliable, affordable, flexible and very customer-friendly!
- good and customisable theme. I always find mine on Creative Market.
Acuity Scheduling is a very easy to use and affordable online meeting scheduling tool. Just show when you are available and people can easily book a meeting with you. Very handy for communication with my students!
I love Pinterest, and Tailwind is so much help! It's a cool pin scheduling tool which helps me organise all my boards helping you improve your vocabulary, grammar, and communication skills in English.
You can also follow my most popular boards on Pinterest: