16 How to ask for recommendations
Imagine someone is visiting your town. What will you recommend them to see? Learn how to give and ask for recommendations for things and places.
How to give recommendations / advice:
- You should … (You should visit that park – it’s amazing!)
- You should definitely … (You should definitely try their ice cream!)
- You ought to … (more formal, more emotional)
- You mustn’t miss … (You mustn’t miss Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin!)
- It’s (well) worth + Ving (It’s well worth going to Prague – amazing city!) or
- [Something] is worth + Ving (Prague is worth visiting / a visit).
Structures with the verb ‘recommend’:
- recommend + Ving (I recommend trying their cakes!) BUT
- recommend + smb + to V1 (I recommend you to try their cakes!)
If you like the episode, could you please share it with your friends or other English learners.